Over twenty teams joined a day of football in the first ever diplomatic World Cup in Paraguay.
The British Embassy in Asuncion, with the support of the Paraguay Football Association (APF) organized the first ever diplomatic football tournament, named “Diplomatic World Cup Asuncion 2022”. The tournament took place at the “Defensores del Chaco” national football stadium and saw the Paraguay delegation as the winner of the tournament.
The tournament ran in two parallel competitions. The main cup, also known as the “World Cup” saw the delegations of France and Paraguay clash together in a fierce final match, with a Paraguay victory of 5-0. The “Silver cup” brought together the runner-up teams from the elimination phase, with a victory from the Korea team 3-0 against Germany.
A tournament of values
The tournament was founded on the values of fraternity, comradery, teamwork and respect to diversity. To this end, the rules of the tournament ensured the participation of diplomats and members of over twenty embassies and international organizations represented in Paraguay.
The games were mixed men and women. Each game lasted twenty minutes each, with the field split in four smaller fields to allow simultaneous encounters.
All teams joined the tournament by paying a donation. The funds raised will be donated to a local organization that brings together football and development work.
- Paraguay Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Embassy of France
- Embassy of Korea
- Embassy of Germany
- Embassy of Argentina
- Embassy of Brazil
- Embassy of Chile
- Embassy of Italy
- Embassy of Japan
- Embassy of Spain
- Embassy of the United States
- Embassy of Uruguay
- World Bank
- Andean Development Corporation (CAF)
- Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA)
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID),
- Deustche Gessellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
- United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
- Secretariat of the MERCOSUR Permanent Review Tribunal.
Published 21 November 2022
Follow this news feed: HM Government