Police strongly condemn continued violent protests


     Radical protests took place in various districts on Hong Kong Island yesterday (September 29). A large number of violent protestors participated in unlawful assemblies on Hong Kong Island, in which they blocked roads illegally, hurled petrol bombs at police officers and set fire at multiple locations. Police strongly condemn such continued violent acts which seriously threatened the safety of Police officers and other members of the public.

     Some people earlier called on protestors on the Internet to participate in an unauthorized public possession on the Hong Kong Island yesterday. Without complying with the law by notifying the Police, a large number of protestors gathered illegally in Causeway Bay, blocking Hennessy Road, East Point Road, Great George Street and Yee Wo Street starting from around 1pm yesterday.

     Later on, radical protestors escalated their violence. Starting from around 3pm, radical protestors blocked roads and committed destructive acts extensively in Admiralty and Wan Chai, and charged Police cordon lines. Radical protestors vandalised facilities at various MTR stations. They set fires at the entrances and exits of Causeway Bay and Wan Chai MTR Stations and nearby streets. They also set fire on banners and miscellaneous objects on Queenway, threw hard objects at police vehicles and Government buildings, and hurled numerous petrol bombs at police officers. Having given repeated warnings but in vain, officers conducted dispersal operations with appropriate force, including tear gases, rubber bullets, bean bag rounds and 40mm react rounds. The specialised crowd management vehicle was deployed to stop the violent acts of the protestors.

     At about 5.30pm, while executing duties near Wan Chai MTR Station, some police officers were surrounded and attacked by a large group of violent protestors. With their lives under serious threat, an officer fired one warning shot into the sky to protect their own safety.

     Radical protestors continued to gather in the vicinity of Causeway Bay at night. A number of dispute, assault and fighting incidents ensued after people expressed different views. As a result, a number of people were assaulted causing serious injuries.

     At night, many protestors gathered outside Mong Kok Police Station and hurled petrol bombs at the police station. After giving warnings, police used appropriate force to stop the acts. Radical protestors set fire at nearby streets afterwards. Therefore, police conducted dispersal operation.

     In the past months, radical protestors escalated their violent acts and their illegal acts have no regard to the laws of Hong Kong. Police reiterate that no violent acts will be tolerated. Police strongly condemn radical protestors for their violent acts. Police will continue to take resolute enforcement action so as to safeguard the city’s public safety and bring all lawbreakers to justice.   

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.