Special traffic and transport arrangements for Hong Kong Island 10K City Race 2019 this Sunday
The Transport Department (TD) today (December 5) reminded the public that a number of special traffic and transport arrangements, including changes of bus services, will be implemented in the vicinity of Hong Kong Island North to facilitate the holding of the Hong Kong Island 10K City Race 2019 this Sunday (December 8).
The race will take a route via Convention Avenue, Hung Hing Road, Marsh Road, the Marsh Road flyover, Lockhart Road, Percival Street, Hennessy Road, Yee Wo Street, Sugar Street, Gloucester Road, the Victoria Road flyover and the section of the Island Eastern Corridor between North Point and Causeway Bay, and finish at Convention Avenue.
To facilitate the holding of the race, extensive road closures including closure of the section of the Island Eastern Corridor between North Point and Causeway Bay, the section of Hennessy Road eastbound near Causeway Bay, Yee Wo Street eastbound and the roads in the vicinity of Wan Chai North will be implemented in stages in Hong Kong Island North.
The TD anticipates that the traffic in the affected areas and the major roads in the vicinity, such as Gloucester Road, Victoria Park Road, Fleming Road, the Canal Road flyover, Hennessy Road, Percival Street, Pennington Street, Leighton Road, King's Road, Java Road, the Cross-Harbour Tunnel and the Aberdeen Tunnel, will become significantly more congested than on normal Sundays.
Motorists are advised to avoid driving to the affected or congested areas, especially in the vicinity from North Point to Wan Chai, unless necessary. In case of road closure and traffic diversion, motorists should follow the instructions of the Police on-site and the guidance of road signs, and stay alert to the latest traffic news through the media.
Owing to extensive road closures in the vicinity from North Point to Wan Chai, a total of 84 bus routes and 10 green minibus routes will be diverted, and the bus terminus at the Wan Chai North Temporary Public Transport Interchange will be suspended. Public transport operators will display notices on-site to inform passengers of the temporary arrangements.
The TD appeals members of the public to plan their journeys in advance and use alternative travelling routes to avoid unexpected delay, as well as take public transport services (particularly railway services) when going to the aforementioned areas. Public transport commuters are advised to pay attention to the arrangements of route diversion and changes of stop locations.
The special traffic and transport arrangements will mainly include:
Road closures and traffic arrangements
1. The following major roads will be temporarily closed in stages from about 2am:
– Convention Avenue;
– Tonnochy Road;
– Hung Hin Road;
– Marsh Road and the Marsh Road flyover;
– The section of Lockhart Road eastbound between Marsh Road and Percival Street;
– The section of Percival Street between Lockhart Road and Hennessy Road;
– The section of Hennessy Road eastbound between Percival Street and Yee Wo Street;
– The section of Yee Wo Street eastbound between Hennessy Road and Sugar Street;
– Sugar Street;
– The section of Gloucester Road between the Gloucester Road service road and Causeway Road;
– The section of the Island Eastern Corridor between North Point and Causeway Bay (both directions); and
– The section of the Central-Wan Chai Bypass between Central and the Island Eastern Corridor (both directions).
2. The on-street parking spaces within the closed road areas and in the vicinity (such as Jaffe Road) will be suspended, and vehicles in car parks within the road closure areas may not be permitted to enter or leave the car parks during the road closure period.
Public transport services
1. A total of 84 bus routes and 10 green minibus routes will be diverted;
2. The bus terminus at the Wan Chai North Temporary Public Transport Interchange will be suspended in stages from about 2am; and
3. Bus stops, taxi stands, public light bus/green minibus stands and cross-boundary coach stops within the closed roads and its vicinity (such as Leighton Road and Pennington Street) and the tram stop on Percival Street will be suspended.
Other ad-hoc traffic and public transport measures, including adjusting the extent of road closures, traffic diversions and alteration and suspension of public transport services may be implemented by the Police at short notice depending on the actual traffic and crowd conditions. Public light bus drivers and taxi drivers who go to Wan Chai North for refilling are advised to take note of the road closure arrangements implemented in the areas. The TD and the Police will closely monitor the traffic situation and implement appropriate measures whenever necessary.
For details of the race, members of the public can browse the Hong Kong Amateur Athletic Association's website (hkaaa.com/tc/comp_details.php?id=157). For enquiries on the special traffic and transport arrangements, members of the public can call 1823 or browse the TD's website (www.td.gov.hk) for more details.