Press release: Plymouth Skip Hire boss nearly jailed for dumping rubble

A judge has told a Plymouth man he escaped prison ‘by the skin of his teeth’ in a case brought by the Environment Agency.

Connor Calam fly-tipped waste on the edge of Dartmoor while subject to a suspended prison sentence for driving offences. The custodial sentence was very nearly activated by Exeter Crown Court.

The court heard a farmer found a large quantity of rubble and other waste deposited across a track near Pudson Farm, Okehampton in January 2017. The waste blocked access to three of his fields. The farmer reported the incident to the Environment Agency and local council and was told he would have to pay for its removal and safe disposal.

Enquiries by the Environment Agency traced the waste back to Plymouth Skip Hire in Stonehouse, Plymouth operated by Connor Calam, also known as Riley James.

The building waste came from insurance repairs carried out on a property in Plymouth by a local company that paid the defendant £245 to remove the material on the understanding he was a registered waste carrier.

Plymouth Skip Hire ceased trading in April 2017. Zenith Construction Ltd, whose waste was illegally tipped by the defendant, later paid for its removal as a goodwill gesture to the farmer.

Phil Butterworth of the Environment Agency said:

This prosecution is a timely reminder to businesses and home owners to ask three simple questions when getting someone in to dispose of their waste.

Is the person registered with the Environment Agency as a waste carrier – ‘ask for proof’’? Where do they intend to take the waste and can they provide a receipt? If they can’t provide satisfactory answers to these questions, don’t hand over your waste.

Appearing before Exeter Crown Court for sentencing on Tuesday 6 March 2018, Connor Calam, of Seaview Avenue, Lipson, Plymouth was fined £2,000 for breaching a suspended prison sentence and ordered to pay £2,500 costs. He was also made the subject of a 12-month community order, ordered to pay £260 compensation to Zenith Construction Ltd plus an £85.00 victim surcharge.

His Honour Judge Ralls QC said ‘Fly-tipping in a beautiful part of the country is a serious matter’ and warned the defendant he’d escaped being sent to prison ‘by the skin of his teeth.’

The sentencing followed an earlier hearing where the defendant was found guilty of disposing of controlled waste on land at Pudson Farm, Okehampton between 10 and 27 February 2017 without an environmental permit contrary to Section 33 of the Environment Protection Act 1990.




Recall of Chinese herbal medicine exceeding limit of pesticide residue (with photo)

     The Department of Health (DH) today (March 14) endorsed a licensed Chinese herbal medicines (Chm) wholesaler, Luen Hing Ho, to voluntarily recall from the market a batch of Chm, Fructus Corni (batch number: 170710A), as the pesticide residue of the Chm exceeded the limit set out by the Chinese Medicines Board of the Chinese Medicine Council of Hong Kong (CMCHK). 

     During the DH’s market surveillance, sample of the above Chm was collected for analysis. Testing result from the Government Laboratory revealed that Triazophos was detected in the decoction prepared from the above Chm (each kilogram of the herb contains 0.09 milligram of Triazophos). Triazophos is an organophosphate pesticide which is not allowed to be detected in decoction prepared from Chm.

     “Based on the level of pesticide residue detected in the sample, adverse health effects will not be caused under consumption for treatment of diseases. Long-term high level intake of Triazophos may possibly affect the nervous system. So far, no adverse reports related to the use of the above Chm have been received. Investigations are ongoing,” a spokesman for the DH said.

     According to the Chinese Medicine Ordinance (Cap 549), Fructus Corni is the ripe sarcocarp of Cornus officinalis Sieb. et Zucc. It is a Schedule 2 Chm of the Ordinance used to tonify and nourish kidney and liver.

     Preliminary investigation indicated that the above batch of Chm was imported by Luen Hing Ho from the Mainland. Luen Hing Ho has set up a hotline (2548 4228) for related enquiries. The DH will closely monitor the recall and has also contacted other main Chm importers in Hong Kong regarding the importation of the above Chm.
 
     According to section 52 of the Public Health and Municipal Services Ordinance (Cap 132), selling any drug not of the nature, substance or quality demanded by the purchaser is liable to a maximum penalty of $10,000 and three months’ imprisonment. Upon completion of investigation, the DH will work with the Department of Justice on prosecution matters and will also refer the case to the CMCHK for possible disciplinary action. 

     The DH urged members of the public who have purchased the above Chm to stop using it immediately and submit it to the Chinese Medicine Division of the DH on 16/F, AIA Kowloon Tower, Landmark East, 100 How Ming Street, Kwun Tong, Kowloon, during office hours for disposal. The public who have taken the above Chm and feel unwell should seek advice from healthcare professionals.

Photo  



Fatal traffic accident in Yau Ma Tei

     Police are investigating a fatal traffic accident in Yau Ma Tei this afternoon (March 14) in which a 53-year-old man died.

     At about 12.24pm, a light goods vehicle (LGV) driven by the 53-year-old man was travelling along Chatham Road South towards Sha Tin. When approaching near Princess Margaret Road, it reportedly lost control, dashed to the opposite lane, and collided with a coach driven by a 53-year-old man. The LGV was then crashed back to the lane towards Sha Tin, and further collided with a taxi driven by a 63-year-old man.

     The LGV driver was trapped inside the car and was rescued by fireman. He was rushed to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in unconscious state and was certified dead at 12.48pm. The 63-year-old taxi driver was injured and sent to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in conscious state.

     Investigation by the Special Investigation Team of Traffic, Kowloon West is underway.

     Anyone who witnessed the accident or has any information to offer is urged to contact the investigating officers on 3661 9000 or 3661 9062.

     




Cluster of Influenza A cases in Hong Kong Buddhist Hospital

The following is issued on behalf of the Hospital Authority:

     The spokesperson for Hong Kong Buddhist Hospital made the following announcement today (March 14):
 
     Three patients (two male and one female, aged 73 to 87) in a mixed medical ward and one staff member presented with respiratory symptoms since March 9. Appropriate viral tests were arranged for the patients and their test results were positive for Influenza A. The patients concerned are being treated under isolation with stable condition. The staff member is currently on sick leave.
 
     Enhanced infection control measures have already been stepped up according to established guidelines. All other patients in the ward are under close surveillance.
 
     The cases have been reported to the Hospital Authority Head Office and the Centre for Health Protection for necessary follow-up.




News story: Annual Safety Review 2017 published

The Annual Safety Review for 2017 contains information on the AAIB’s activity during 2017 and includes an overview of the 29 Safety Recommendations and Safety Actions published in the 39 field and 220 correspondence investigation reports during the year.

It also includes statistical information on the accident causal factors established by AAIB investigations across the aviation industry. To complement this, there is an AAIB general aviation fatal accident review which looks at the causal trends and has links to further research papers, regulatory advice and other useful sources of information for the private aviator. There is also an article on human factors in accident investigation and how the AAIB is developing its capability in this important field.