Press release: Uk and India commit to closer military ties
Both nations benefit from vibrant digital economies and will design, create and manufacture technologies that will help protect citizens and businesses against malicious cyber attacks.
The agreement will enable collaboration on internet governance, promoting international cyber stability, tackling online crime and developing cyber security sectors.
Minister for Armed Forces, Mark Lancaster, said:
Defence and security are at the centre of our friendship with India. By working together to combat terrorism, tackle cyber threats, and build regional security, we are keeping both our countries safe.
Discussions have also been held on how the Royal Navy can work more closely with their Indian counterparts to ensure the safety and prosperity of the Indian Ocean region – tackling piracy and drug trafficking, as well as protecting freedom of navigation rights. The UK already plays an active role in maritime security in this region through counter terrorism, counter piracy and maritime security operations because a free and open Indo-Pacific area is in the interests of the UK, India and the international community.
In addition, work is underway on building a long-term approach to the UK and India’s defence industry-to-industry relations, allowing our Armed Forces to share technologies and learn skills from each other.
These new military links are among several ways the UK and India are working closer together across several departments, announced during an inward visit by Prime Minister Narenda Modi.
The armies of the UK and India already enjoy a close bond and work together on Exercise Ajeya Warrior every two years, sharing battle tactics and pool together ideas.
Future Women MP’s Weekend is back!
Empowering and thought-provoking, this intensive training weekend for aspiring female MPs will provide you with the knowledge and skills required to run as a successful candidate.
Many current and former female Lib Dem MPs started their journeys at an FWMP event and you could be next!
News story: Seven british Army soldiers killed during World War 1 are honoured as they are laid to rest
Captain Henry John Innes Walker, a New Zealand national serving with the british army, has finally been laid to rest alongside 6 unknown soldiers after they were killed during World War 1. Known to his family as Jack, Capt Walker enlisted into the Royal Warwickshire Regiment as did 1 of the unknown soldiers. The 5 remaining were buried as unknown soldiers of unknown regiments, all at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission New Irish Farm Cemetery in Ieper, Belgium.
The Royal Regiment Fusiliers take Captain Walker to his final resting place, Crown Copyright, All rights reserved
The service, organised by the MOD’s Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre, part of Defence Business Services, was held on Wednesday 18 April 2018 and was conducted by the Reverend Stuart Richards CF, Chaplain to the 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.
Louise Dorr, JCCC said:
It’s a great honour to be here today to lay to rest these 7 brave men who paid the ultimate price in the service of King and country. Although saddened that the 6 will remain unknown, I am delighted that we managed to return Captain Walker’s name to him and especially thrilled that his great nephews have travelled so far to be with us today.
After war was declared in 1914, the Royal Warwickshire Regiment left for the front and Capt Walker saw active service on the Belgian frontier as part of the 10th Brigade of the 4th Infantry Division. Capt Walker was aged 25 when he was killed on 25 April 1915 during the Second Battle of Ypres, which resulted in his regiment losing nearly 500 men. It is likely that all 7 died during the Second Battle of Ypres (April-May 1915).
Padre Stuart Richards delivers the service for Captain Walker and the six unknown soldiers, Crown Copyright, All rights reserved
Reverend Stuart Richards CF said:
It is a privilege to be part of this on-going act of national remembrance, to preserve and dedicate anew these memorials for future generations. Captain Walker travelled from the other side of the world to serve his country, and was never to see his home again. Today, a century on, his family have made that same long journey in his honour, and to remember those he led and died with.
During a planned archaeological dig on the western side of the village of St Julien in April 2016, human remains and artefacts dating from World War 1 were discovered. Capt Walker and the 6 unknown soldiers were found amongst a total of 38 casualties from various nationalities.
Royal Warwickshire cap amongst poppy wreath, Crown Copyright, All rights reserved
Capt Walker was found with a coin holder, binocular components and leather casing bearing the initials ‘HJIW’, plus a Royal Warwickshire Regiment cap badge and shoulder title.
Family members who paid their respects to Capt Walker included his great nephews, Allan and Alistair Innes-Walker, who travelled from New Zealand and Australia respectively. Also present was Greg Andrews, New Zealand Ambassador to Belgium and France, and Colonel James Phillips, the Defence Attaché from the British Embassy in The Hague. Current members of the 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers paid their own tribute by providing the bearer party.
Allan Innes-Walker, great nephew of Capt Walker said:
According to his men, Jack’s last words were ‘Come on lads’ as he raised his revolver and led his company towards German lines and heavy fire. His discovery and burial are a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for my children to connect to a family member and a devastating history – an unexpected and inspiring legacy.
Great nephew Alistair Innes-Walker receives the Union Flag from Captain Alex Edmund, Crown Copyright, All rights reserved
Alistair Innes-Walker, great nephew of Capt Walker said:
My son is named after Great Uncle Jack. At school we sat beneath his memorial stained glass window – an ever-present reminder of a sad but proud history. To have the chance to pay our respects and meet those involved from the MOD Casualty Centre will mean so much to Jack’s now very extended family.
Great Great Nephew Jack Innes-Walker lays a wreath, Crown Copyright, All rights reserved
Michael Innes-Walker, the nephew of Capt Walker was unable to make the journey. Michael said:
From my earliest years my father told me stories of Uncle Jack – the schoolboy scholar and sportsman. He always wanted to be a soldier and joined the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, got posted to India and became a close friend of ‘Monty’ (later General Montgomery) before transferring to France. My family never knew what happened to him other than he was killed in action, and now we will be honouring him as he so justly deserves.
Mel Donnelly, CWGC said:
Captain Walker was far from his New Zealand home, when he was killed in action in April 1915. He was a remarkable man, sent to serve with the British Army on behalf of his country, an outstanding athlete and a decorated officer. Today we have been able to lay him and his comrades to rest at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission’s New Irish Farm Cemetery, alongside the men they fought and died with. We remember his sacrifice and that of all those who served and will care for their graves and their memory with dedication, forever.
Colonel James Phillips, British Defence Attaché said:
It is a real honour representing the British Embassy at the burial of Captain Walker and six unknown soldiers. These were men who fought in such horrific conditions that it was impossible to identify them. They will never be forgotten – today has shown that. The end of the first World War may have been 100 years ago this year, but our memory of these men will live on. Their fight was instrumental for our freedom. It is important that these soldiers have been given a final resting place, with the full honours they deserve. They have made the ultimate sacrifice for us.
Headstone for Captain Henry ‘Jack’ Walker, Crown Copyright, All rights reserved
One new headstone bearing Capt Walker’s name and six inscribed with ‘Known unto God’ have been provided by the CWGC, who will now care for their final resting place in perpetuity.
DH investigates case of proprietary Chinese medicine adulterated with Western drug ingredient (with photo)
The Department of Health (DH) is today (April 18) investigating a case of a registered proprietary Chinese medicine (pCm) adulterated with a Western drug ingredient, diclofenac. The product name is Tik Dak Win (registration no: HKP-05141) and the related batch number is 330017.
A sample of the above product collected from the DH’s market surveillance was found to contain undeclared diclofenac upon testing by the Government Laboratory. Preliminary investigations revealed that the above product had been imported from the Mainland by its registration holder, Lung Choy Shung Five Photos Brand Medicine Fty (Lung Choy Shung), for external packing and local sale.
According to the package insert, the above product is indicated for traumatic injury. Lung Choy Sung is voluntarily recalling all batches of the product from market as a precautionary measure and has set up a hotline (2431 4780) for related enquiries. The DH will closely monitor the recall.
“Diclofenac, a Part 1 poison under the Pharmacy and Poisons Ordinance (the Ordinance) (Cap 138), is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug used to relieve pain and inflammation. Its known side-effects include gastrointestinal discomfort, nausea, and peptic ulcer. So far, no adverse reports related to the use of the above product have been received. Investigations are ongoing,” a spokesman for the DH said.
According to the Ordinance, illegal sale or possession of Part 1 poisons and unregistered pharmaceutical products are criminal offences. The maximum penalty for each offence is a fine of $100,000 and two years’ imprisonment. Upon completion of investigations, the DH will seek advice from the Department of Justice on prosecution matters and will also refer this case to the Chinese Medicine Council of Hong Kong to consider taking possible disciplinary action.
The DH urged the public who have purchased the above product stop taking it immediately. Those who have consumed the product and are feeling unwell should seek advice from healthcare professionals. They can submit the product to the DH’s Chinese Medicine Division on 16/F, AIA Kowloon Tower, Landmark East, 100 How Ming Street, Kwun Tong, during office hours for disposal.
Press release: North East man fined for illegal fishing
A Newcastle man has been fined for fishing using an illegal set line which can be damaging to fish stocks following an investigation by the Environment Agency.
Lin Zhi Jin, 42, of Belgrave Parade, Newcastle, appeared at Newcastle Magistrates’ Court on Friday 13 April where he pleaded guilty to fishing using the illegal equipment. He was ordered to pay a total of £400 in fines and costs.
A set line, which is a fixed line above water with baited hooks attached to it, can result in severe injury to fish and is indiscriminate in nature, making it a damaging method of capture.
It happened in the early hours of 26 July last year when Environment Agency Fisheries Enforcement Officers were carrying out patrols of the River Tyne in the Wylam area when they saw the defendant on the river bank. He was spoken to and produced a valid rod licence, which permits fishing using a rod and line.
While checks were being carried out a search of the immediate area revealed a set line tied to a post on the river bank and leading into the river. It was hauled in and found to have four baited hooks attached to it.
Potential to damage fish populations
Kevin Summerson, Fisheries Technical Specialist at the Environment Agency, said:
The River Tyne is an important river for migratory fish and this spot in Wylam is popular for keen anglers. This type of equipment is illegal to use in rivers in England for a reason – they have the potential to cause significant damage to fish populations.
We take all kinds of illegal fishing very seriously, whether it’s those fishing without a licence or licensed anglers using illegal equipment. It’s not fair on other anglers who make sure they fish within the law, and also endangers the future of the sport by damaging the sustainability of fish stocks.
The Environment Agency’s work is intelligence-led and they work closely with partners to target known hot spots and where illegal fishing is reported.
Important for people to report illegal fishing
During March the Environment Agency prosecuted nine anglers at courts in the North East for unlicensed fishing and associated offences, resulting in fines and costs totalling almost £2,000.
This included three men from Morpeth prosecuted for unlicensed fishing and byelaw offences that took place on 29 September 2017 on the River Wansbeck. Fisheries Enforcement Officers were supported by Northumbria Police when they made the arrests.
Ashley Lawson, 29, of Shields Road, Dwayne Dodds, 33, of Rutherford Place, and Martin Shaun Pringle, 28, of Kitty Brewster Road, all had their cases proved in absence at South East Northumberland Magistrates’ Court and received fines and costs totalling more than £1,100.
Kevin added:
As well as unlicensed fishing some of these offences included obstruction, failing to state correct names or addresses, using illegal baits, close season offences and theft. It’s really important people report information about suspected illegal fishing to us so we can investigate.
The Environment Agency urges anyone to report illegal fishing by calling 0800 80 70 60 and are always looking to gather good intelligence.
With the support of the Angling Trust Voluntary Bailiffs – who keep watch on their local rivers and report suspicious activity to the Environment Agency and when appropriate, the police – this network has increased.
The Environment Agency is currently working with the Angling Trust as part of Operation Clampdown – the annual blitz on illegal coarse fishing during the close season, which started on 15 March and runs until 15 June.
All income from rod licence sales is used to fund Environment Agency work to protect and improve fish stocks and fisheries, including improving habitats for fish and facilities for anglers, tackling illegal fishing and working with partners to encourage people to give fishing a go.